Monday, March 06, 2006

Changes

I have had to announce my resignation of running for Jerome Town Council as we are moving and buying a home outside of Jerome town limits, which means I can’t be on council. It was a tough decision as I have wanted to be a part of our community’s politics, but when an offer to buy a home comes up such as the one we have had, it is hard to say no.

I was following Rick and Brook up the hill the other day, Rick owns Avatar Tattoo in Jerome. When I first saw Rick, I thought him scary, covered in tattoos, bald, ears pierced with these big round pegs (not sure what that is called). Then I met him and his wife when we owned a business next to his – we discovered they are the kindest, most compassionate, spiritually minded people in the world. We love being around them. They bought a new vehicle and on the back is a sticker with family members and the words – I love my family. How is that for breaking stereotypes?

Ester Burton passed away a few weeks ago. Ester was one of Jerome’s town characters who had lived in Jerome for quite some time. You would often see her dancing at the spirit room in her pink or purple sweatpants and tennis shoes. Or she was sitting out in front of the Flat Iron drinking her coffee and smoking her cigarettes. She finished and published her book that is for sale around town for those who want to read about her life traveling the world, meeting world leaders, etc. Quite fascinating. We will miss her.

Our Sunday morning breakfast group is still growing. I look forward to it as it’s a great time to catch up with friends. One thing I appreciate about Jerome people is they are real and honest. Don’t think you can get away with anything without being called on it and with compassion and truth – not meanness. I guess this is what keeps everybody real in the first place. Nobody can pretend they are someone they aren’t. And nobody is perfect and that is certainly okay. No judgment.

Lisa Petty’s 40th birthday is coming up in two weeks in which we are celebrating it with a town Mardi Gras party. Petty’s Party Gras we are calling it. We will have a short parade on Main Street at 5 p.m. Saturday the 18th. We will have food and drink in the park for friends. Should be a good time and hopefully an annual event.

No comments: